[lbo-talk] whole foods: was At one with my inner herbivore

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Oct 14 19:39:59 PDT 2008

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> On the other hand there's a ton of stuff in that store laced with msg,
> something I stay away from ever since I lived in San Francisco and kept
> hearing msg was the root of all food evil.

FWIW, if you're interested, this fellow makes an interesting case that MSG (a) doesn't harm people anymore than sugar or salt does -- it's the victim of a famous urban myth; and (b) is a fifth taste, completely comparable to sugar or salt -- too much of it, like too much sugar or salt, makes food into junk, but just the right amount in the hand of a master makes art:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/opinion/18dunlop.html

I'm not vouching for this article, but I thought there was lots of interesting stuff in it and it's a very short.

Michael