[lbo-talk] Things I will never understand: Fear of Tax

Ismail Lagardien ilagardien at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 05:09:32 PDT 2008

You know, I have lived in the US for 10 years. There are very many things I don't understand about this country, and very many that I may never - one of which is the problem with paying tax.Is it really such a problem? I mean....

I have felt like a freak in many situations in the US; I have to bite my tongue when/if i speak about (among other) the US military abroad. Someone inevitably has a cousin, or a brother or a love who is/was in the military. I dare not speak about imperialism, or abuse of dominance etc...

I don't even discuss tax. I once told a woman that I didn't mind paying tax because there was "a woman down the road who is a single parent of two teenage boys" who might need help. She said, "i have never heard that before". Turns out she was a Christian fundamentalist, a Bush supporter and couldn't wait to have her son join the marines...

it's quite pathetic, actually, when the only like-minded "friends" I have are on this and the marxist list.

Aluta Continua!

----- Original Message ---- From: Max B. Sawicky <sawicky at verizon.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, 17 October, 2008 7:45:58 Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

B. wrote:
> About this new "Joe the Plumber" crap:

Joe was a set-up, turns out he makes less than $50K a year so he is in no position to buy a business with annual net revenue of $250K.

But he does represent something bigger, in the sense of workers who would like to work for themselves, look wistfully at a dimly understood opportunity, and out of misinformation worry that the tax system will deny them.