[lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 18 11:00:53 PDT 2008

Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:52 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Define "not at all uncommon."
>> Is 5% of the population enough to earn that label?

>> I'd venture a guess
>> that no more than 5% of the US population has $100,000 or more savings.
>> 5% hardly seems to merit the label "not at all uncommon".

>> maybe someone will come along with
>> hard data and show me that 18% of the US has savings of $100,000 or more and
>> it really is "not at all uncommon" but I'm not holding my breath.
>>

> But you ignore the question at hand. I was discussing skilled
> construction workers, a decent number of whom have business ownership
> as their primary goal, not the population as a whole.
>
> My logic worked in the opposite direction from yours. I started with
> construction company owners (only those of my acquaintance, to be
> sure), then considered how many had begun as workers.
>
> This approach seems more useful, as far as this particular question
> goes, than starting by considering the entire population.

Since the median annual income of construction workers is lower than the median annual income for the population as a whole I fail to see how that bolsters your case. Of the subset of construction workers known to you I haven't a clue but using that subset would seem a less useful rather than more useful starting point for such a discussion. The median income of self-employed persons is ~$48,000 so owning your own company doesn't suggest higher than average savings either.

>> Only about 15% of households have a net worth of $500,000 or more (and it's
>> nearly impossible to imagine having $100,000 in savings if your net worth is
>> less than $500,000)
>>

> I'm no economic mastermind, but why? If I earned a comfortable income
> and saved conscientiously, a ratio of 80% hardly seems unlikely.

Since more than 20% of the people in this income bracket self report they live paycheck to paycheck, which certainly implies very low savings, 80% seems incredibly unlikely.

John Thornton