[lbo-talk] Joe the Plumber, $250k+ business owner, as average American?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:46:56 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 2:00 PM, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Of the subset of construction workers known to you I haven't a clue but
> using that subset would seem a less useful rather than more useful starting
> point for such a discussion.

A limited and relatively privileged subset, to be sure: skilled union members in the city which, I believe, has the highest construction costs in the country.

> Since more than 20% of the people in this income bracket self report they
> live paycheck to paycheck, which certainly implies very low savings, 80%
> seems incredibly unlikely.

Impossible does not follow from uncommon. Lifestyles have a way of expanding to match (and often exceed) incomes, but that's a choice, consciously made or not.