[lbo-talk] Things I will never understand: Fear of Tax

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 20 12:12:35 PDT 2008

Sandy Harris wrote:
> Sean Andrews <cultstud76 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Anglo-American ideology. In general, all you've done is present the
>> most extreme version of the facile ideas being talking about ("taxes
>> stolen at gunpoint"), ...
>>

> I'd say I presented a fairly mild version of the right libertarian hypothesis.
> People I know would state if quite a bit more strongly.
>
> The facile ideas I referred to were the notions on the other side,
> that a good way to discharge your (undoubted by me) obligation
> to help your fellow man is to just pay your taxes, and that she
> has "a right to an income". Granted there are good arguments
> for both, but neither should be blithely assumed.

What makes you assume I or anyone else here "blithely assumes" this? The "good" arguments for libertarianism are not so good upon closer examination.

If you desire a tightly constructed argument why the highest sustainable basic income should be guaranteed to every individual if one wishes to leximin an individuals free choices within society I'm afraid I don't have time to write such a book and post it here. You are however free to peruse the archives where I have posted some arguments for this position in the past. I do take as a starting premise the desire to leximin individuals freedom to make choices. I did not blithely stumble into holding the position I currently hold with regards to this issue.

John Thornton