[lbo-talk] Why the Dems lost the White Working Class

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Tue Oct 21 06:02:07 PDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 07:17:27 -0400 (EDT), Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> but it is hobbled by the condescending
> argument that tens of millions of Americans have become victims of a
> "carefully cultivated derangement," or are simply stupid.

Stating the basic truth is not condescending.

However just realizing they are stupid doesn't tell you why they vote Republican. Supporters of the democratic party are also largely stupid. I'm stupid. You're stupid. If understanding clearly the mechanisms of political economy is the standard, most people are pretty stupid. It's complicated.

To understand why they vote for this party or that party you don't need an IQ test. It is the same reason they buy this product or shop at that store: Advertising. The chances are slim that any member of the working class has a direct relationship with a candidate, and therefore the relationship is mediated from start to finish by staged spectacle and the commercial media. In fact, these workers are the very audience commodity that the media trades in. ca-ching.

Whoever runs the best advertising campaign wins the punter every time, and most times, the one who runs the best campaign is the one with the most money to spend on it. And the one who has the most money to spend is normally the one who is supported by those who are most actively exploiting the workers.

Therefore, workers most often always vote against their interests, because those that most successfully exploit workers most often have the best advertising.

It really isn't rocket science.

-- Dmytri Kleiner, aspiring crank.

http://www.telekommunisten.net