[lbo-talk] Powell and Obama

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Tue Oct 21 11:23:31 PDT 2008

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, shag wrote:

> listening to recaps of his words on the sunday talk show circuit, he
> really didn't seem knowledgeable about the reasons for his support. he
> said he thought mccain was weak on the economy but didn't seem able to
> illustrate why he thought so. it was strange. i've seen the guy talk in
> person -- he once guest lectured a course i was teaching. he's much more
> self-assured and assertive with his positions -- when he actually holds
> them. this just seemed like ... there was some other reason he supoorted
> obama and it had little to do with his judgement of friend McCain.

You need to find a whole transcript or video or something. He was polite, but quite blunt about his reasons. They included: the rightward drift of the party, the tone of the McCain campaign, including the racism (he specifically called McCain on that "he's not a Muslim, he's a good family man thing"), that he did not want to see two more right wingers appointed to the supreme court. This is off the top of my head w/o looking anything up.

He said empty nice things about Palin, but said she was not ready to be president and that that is the only job of the VP.

I thought he was crystal clear and concise and he didn't pussyfoot around about his reasons. I just think its sad he waited this long to find his voice (or 'nads) to speak out against the neo-con cretins. Too bad he didn't do it in time to save Iraq from the shit storm he helped deliver there.