[lbo-talk] Powell and Obama

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Oct 21 11:31:10 PDT 2008

At 02:23 PM 10/21/2008, joseph noonan wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, shag wrote:
>
>>listening to recaps of his words on the sunday talk show circuit, he
>>really didn't seem knowledgeable about the reasons for his support. he
>>said he thought mccain was weak on the economy but didn't seem able to
>>illustrate why he thought so. it was strange. i've seen the guy talk in
>>person -- he once guest lectured a course i was teaching. he's much more
>>self-assured and assertive with his positions -- when he actually holds
>>them. this just seemed like ... there was some other reason he supoorted
>>obama and it had little to do with his judgement of friend McCain.
>
>You need to find a whole transcript or video or something. He was polite,
>but quite blunt about his reasons. They included: the rightward drift of
>the party, the tone of the McCain campaign, including the racism (he
>specifically called McCain on that "he's not a Muslim, he's a good family
>man thing"), that he did not want to see two more right wingers appointed
>to the supreme court. This is off the top of my head w/o looking anything up.

i saw all that but I didn't see someone who was especially "into it". he just seemed like he was ticking of expected reasons. he didn't seem enthusiastic about it.

like I said, maybe it's because I've seen him speak in person where his enthusiasm for issues for which he had a strong opinion was really obvious.