[lbo-talk] Why the Dems lost the White Working Class

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 22 15:53:56 PDT 2008

This discussion would be less weird if _some_ attention were given to what the bulk of DP Congressmen, Senators, legislators, governors, county chair(wo)men, judges, etc etc actually _believed_ or stood for, as shown both by what they say and what they do or have done while in office from dog catcher to president. A discussion of how the DP, merely as an electoral machine, can win elections seems somewhat lacking in substance. A given politician _may_ believe in all sorts of left daydreams but hypocritically pretend to be rightist (e.g., he/she may _really_ ins ome mystic way before a national health service but pretend to support the Insurance companies), but it is really rather doubtful that a whole huge party apparatus could maintain such a position for decades. At least _consider_ the possibility that DP politiicians and officeholders (from precinct captain to president) more or less believe in the policies and positions they have implemented and supported over the years.

They may just really believe that it would be a good idea to invade Pakistan if necessary to keep "the bomb" out of the hands of "terrorists." They may really believe that single-payer is not (and should not be) an option. And so on.

Carrol