[lbo-talk] Why the Dems lost the White Working Class

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 05:06:13 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Americans are very confused and believe lots of contradictory things.
> Remember, something like 3/4 of Bush voters in 2004 thought he supported the
> Kyoto Protocol. But a lot of Americans agreed with Bush when he vetoed the
> SCHIP child health insurance bill, denouncing it as socialized medicine.

I wonder how much of this is a matter of spoils. During Dole's presidential campaign there was a column that commented on how he was big on the ADA, not a big Republican talking point, and that he has injuries from WW2. You see it with things like VA benefits or social security or federal money for infrastructure. I know we've discussed this on a broad regional level, but it happens on a personal level too. I hate taxes and regulation, and hey, look at this nice bridge Thurmond got us.

-- Andy