[lbo-talk] High voter turnout / 'real' VA questions

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Oct 27 07:08:07 PDT 2008

Last week, the local public radio station predicted a 85% turnout rate for a town in the area. I don't know where they got the number, and don't know what normal turnout rate is. Still, the figure was dropped in the context of claims that the turnout was going to be exceptionally high this year, so much so that polling places wouldn't be able to handle the influx.

I've heard similar on national news, though nothing like a predicted 85% turnout rate any where else.

A higher than normal turn out rate of more than 2-5% seems farfetched to me. Thoughts?

As for the 'real' virginia stuff, are Staunton, Swoope and Waynesboro not the real VA? What about Boyd Tavern, Rugby, Hebron, Shadwell, Fisherville?

Waynesboro looked completely down and out. We were too early for the artisanal crafts co-op, which was why we were in Waynesboro. So I drove around looking at the area, which looked severely economically depressed. The only action I saw on a Sunday morning were a bunch of people who seemed to be crying and upset, just outside one of those store front churches/ministries in what looked like a former Dollar General. Oh, and the local military school's marching band was setting up to perform what looked like a routine Sunday morning drill.

We did find a True Value hardware store that was open before noon, though, and cruised the aisles to kill time.

Also? I tried one of those Cracker Barrel places for breakfast.

ppptheeeewi. ppptheeewi. I can't believe these places are mobbed constantly for breakfast. the "hash browns" tasted distinctly like Betty Crocker. And the gravy. Larda merci on me: just crap. And they put sliced yellow -- YELLOW -- american cheese in R's omelette. ppptheeeewi!