[lbo-talk] High voter turnout / 'real' VA questio

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Mon Oct 27 08:21:52 PDT 2008

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, shag wrote:

> Last week, the local public radio station predicted a 85% turnout rate for
> a town in the area. I don't know where they got the number, and don't know
> what normal turnout rate is. Still, the figure was dropped in the context
> of claims that the turnout was going to be exceptionally high this year,
> so much so that polling places wouldn't be able to handle the influx.
>
> I've heard similar on national news, though nothing like a predicted 85%
> turnout rate any where else.
>
> A higher than normal turn out rate of more than 2-5% seems farfetched to
> me. Thoughts?

I haven't heard a 85%, but apparently 75% isn't beyond the realm of possibility here. The actuals for early voting in Houston/Harris county have been pretty impressive. Early voting started last Monday, ran through the weekend, and ends this Friday. I voted Saturday and it was as busy as I've ever seen it on an actual election day, with the longest line I've ever seen. So far over 300,000 people have voted early, which is twice as many as in 2004 at this point. The County Clerk expects 750,000 by the end of EV on Friday and further guesses 1.5M total for the election. There are 1.95M registered voters in Harris county, up 10,000 from last year.

They've also made EV easier this year too by opening more centers and letting you go to any one, not an assigned one closest to your home.

I noticed something really odd, I thought, at the polls Saturday: there were *no* Prez campaign signs at the park/rec center where we vote. No McCain, no Obama. Assloads of every other race: judges, state reps, congresscritters, senator, but none for prez. Weird.

> Also? I tried one of those Cracker Barrel places for breakfast.
>
> ppptheeeewi. ppptheeewi. I can't believe these places are mobbed
> constantly for breakfast.

That's because you are not a Real American.

-j