[lbo-talk] High voter turnout / 'real' VA questio

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 27 09:36:40 PDT 2008

joseph noonan wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, shag wrote:
>

> > Also? I tried one of those Cracker Barrel places for breakfast.
> >
> > ppptheeeewi. ppptheeewi. I can't believe these places are mobbed
> > constantly for breakfast.
>
> That's because you are not a Real American.

I may be the only person on this list with any experience with an actual early-20th century "general store"; there was one still operating in Wakelee, Michigan until the late '40s. (It had given up selling clothing, because the owner had refused to reduce prices: a South Bend, Indiana theatre troupe discovered it and bought a bunch of it for their costumes. High button shoes still on display in 1944! The Cracker Barrel stores resemble a general store about as much as the internet resembles the Pony Express.

Carrol