[lbo-talk] Is There a Robust Left Response to Eco-quietism?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Oct 29 17:29:19 PDT 2008

Well there is a kernel of truth to it.

If we *all* drop out, or "unplug" as it were, then yes, it would surely work. Dick Cheney wouldn't be much of a problem on his own. The invasion of Iraq would have been a very quick and unsuccessful affair if Dick Cheney had invaded single-handedly.

I imagine the Iraqi people (there would be no Iraqi army if everyone was "unplugged" remember) would have dispatched the threat relatively quietly. Even if Dick could have found a friend to go with him, the friend would probably have soon become a casualty of friendly fire.

One old codger who can't shoot straight is not the problem, the problem has always been the idiots who follow his (or his ilk's) orders.

So if we were to "unplug" the air-conditioners etc collectively, the global warming threat would be lessened. Even if there were a few recalcitrants. Like I'm assuming the Dwayne Munroe household would be a bit surly about the whole affair. I'm sure we'd just need to act tolerantly for awhile, perhaps *ostentatiously* tolerant, until you sheepishly fell into line.

But no, it wouldn't be much use if the Munroe Household went it alone and unplugged. It would need to be a collective act. Not necessarily government sponsored is all.

No idea whether that was implicit in this book you are talking about. Possible you may have missed that part in your fury at the idea of swapping the sports car for a solar-powered rotary-hoe. Can't altogether blame you, it doesn't seem like a fair trade, does it.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas