[lbo-talk] Is There a Robust Left Response to Eco-quietism?

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 20:52:23 PDT 2008

So um, is Astyk who genderizes virtue or just Thackara in his review because he does not know quite what else to do with Astyk's argument? Perhaps either hold off on the pistol until you're a layer closer to the actual text or point the pistol at the guy writing the review.

In the second place, what would constitute a robust left critique of the chickens and candlelit fiddle concerts crowd let alone the charms of children? Why does it have to be a left critique? I would like my food to be produced locally: free range chickens not fed antibiotics or animal slurry, slaughtered humanely by people paid living wages and not subjected to inhuman working conditions. That sounds to me like common sense and basic standards. If I could walk to shop and had to go every day because my household used little energy for refrigeration, I might have to go to the gym less or not fret so much about a cookie because of walking off surplus calories, but I would not be spending $6000 for a treadmill desk so I could simulate exercise at my couch potato job. In other words, I might have equal or better standard of living with much smaller expenditures of resources which formerly were kept artificially cheap. I suppose it is leftist because there is no profit in the picture for multinational petromonoliths or for the hedge fund crowd, but too dang bad: they can pluck some chickens too.

Well, okay, I have desire for good quality eggs and chicken but I have NO desire to raise the chickens, collect the eggs, slaughter and pluck the birds myself. No way, no thank you, Mom's stories of such in her youth are plenty close enough for me. Not guessing the hedge fund crowd would hold up any better around headless chickens in their death throes than I do

As for children, I really dig being Auntie because I get to GIVE THEM BACK, Unplugging the TV and forcing the kids to have actual experioences not just simulations through the tube means some adult has to engage. Oh horrors. Well not really, but sometimes the tykes just like mindrot as much as their adults. Children socialized for experiences do turn out to be charming individuals and of course there might be multiple layers of gender discussion about who provides these experiences and oversees the tykes' development, but how does that add up to behaviors that change the directions of economies? Perhaps best not go there at all if this is not part of Astyk's argument.

A couple anecdotes removed from the numerical punch of what impact changes like this could actually have:

Awhile ago I read this interesting article about this Indian civil servant whose wife worked with an architect to build themselves a quite lovely house based on passive solar principles and effective use of convection patterns. The cost both of the construction and the operation of the house turned out to be dramatically less than if the family had tried to plug into the grid, air condition everything, and use conventional construction practices.

Recently, I read about the discovery of the latest Mersenne prime number, 13 million digits calculated in the space cycles basically of a botnet. The same kinds of shared calculations are going on about the human genome and about the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. Who knows what other surpluses are lurking if pricing were different or we looked hard.

Would you find Astyk's views more robust if they came with wonky figures and projections or with ponderous verbiage about undervaluing himan relations or quality of life indicators and overvaluing currency speculations and credit-default swaps? I don't plan to take up plucking chickens but I also don't plan on letting go of my core sense of standard of living, thank you very much.

DC