[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 2 10:04:50 PDT 2008

On Sep 2, 2008, at 12:49 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Palin is a big proponent of the idiocy of abstinence education, which
>> doesn't work and never will. That's a political point to make out
>> of all
>> this.
>
> And you don't think there's something despicable about making
> political points at the expense of 17-year-olds in vulnerable
> situations?
>
> (Or, for that matter, something idiotic about feigning shock that the
> behavior of children doesn't always reflect their parents' lofty
> ideals?)

No, there's nothing despicable about it at all. What's despicable about saying that kids are going to fuck, and we should acknowledge that instead of pretending otherwise? Sorry about the pickle that Bristol's in, but her mother accepted the nomination knowing that her daughter was pregnant, and it was inevitable that it'd all become public.

Doug