[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Sep 2 10:31:18 PDT 2008

> (Or, for that matter, something idiotic about feigning shock
> that the behavior of children doesn't always reflect their
> parents' lofty ideals?)

On the other hand, I spoke to a few people (who I would have thought knew better) who voted for Bush/Cheney in 2000 because they felt that because Cheney had a daughter who was out, he would be more sympathetic to gay rights. How much more wrong could they have been?

I don't think this point needs to be made _at the expense of_ her daughter, but I think it's mildly amusing that the double-standard she holds in this case is directly opposed to the non-double-standard position that Michael Dukakis stood up for and got skewered for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_dukakis#Views_on_capital_punishment

/jordan