[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 19:45:25 PDT 2008

Fred Thompson is extolling the virtues of knowing how to field dress a moose. We won't speculate about the survival of the moose species under a McCain-Palin administration. Nor do we get any info about how this will help with Mugabe or Musharraf. But at least when the last one passes on the veep will know how to dress it.

But now back to the presidential race.

--Say this for this year's R's: both of them have kids in the linfe of fire for the various stupid war options.

--I still have this idiotic streak of glee. I think it is brought on by the chattering classes' line more or less that "we don't know who Sarah Palin is so she cannot possibly be anyone important." I KNOW she is a right-wing nut who makes George the Shrub look like a spineless liberal, She will not get my vote. But as long as we get the repubs going for affirmative action hook line and sinker, I think we have to celebrate how the whole moralistic dance brings some "women's issues"right out into the glare of public discourse.

--How many of you all have teenaged or unwed at time ofconception relatives in your direct family tree? I know I have a couple of the former and cannot guess about the latter

--I think we need to add race as well as class to the reasons the Repugs are so forgiving. Cue any number of republican politicians blathering about unwed motherhood when it is clear they are talking about people of a different race or class. Should be really fun to make some ads out of all that footage.