[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 2 21:11:13 PDT 2008

Joseph Catron wrote:

>> It is also good to show people the hypocrisies of the right-wing in a very
>> concrete manner.
>>

> But if my *mother* morally opposes smoking pot, and then *I* smoke
> pot...oh, never mind. I suspect this is a hopeless case.

Oh it's not hopeless. Don't give up on yourself so easily. I have hope you'll eventually stop being a sanctimonious bore someday.

If your mother runs for, and attains, public office then her opinions of pot smoking are germane. In case you missed it, Palin puts forth a position on how to best raise ALL children so how her children behave when subject to that position is germane. At least as far as US style politics is concerned. Don't forget, we're discussing Palin, not your next door neighbour.

>> "Two wrongs...." is childish nonsense. If you really care about implementing
>> policies that help people you do what it takes to implement them and you
>> don't waste time being sanctimonious.
>>

> Tell me, did you take the same position on Aaron McGruder's
> "Condoleezza Rice just needs a man" kick? This has equal substance.

I always take that position. The childish "two wrong..." is not a valid method for any adult to use to determine their position on any issue. Good luck arguing otherwise with mature adults. Let me know how much success you have in this endeavor.

>> No one is clucking about this teens behaviour.
>> The point is to show another failure of abstinence only education for a
>> self-appointed "good family".
>> No one here is chastising Bolin for having sex.
>>

> I take it you never step (slightly) outside the circular leftist
> firing squad to explore, for example, the ideological swamps of
> Democratic Underground or Daily Kos? (To their marginal credit,
> editors seem to have been hard at work scrubbing away the weekend's
> slime.)

I have about as much use for Kos as I do for a coffee enema. I have no interest in blogs. Reading the comments section of such sites is like flogging yourself only without the fun. If all reading such sites does for you is get you all worked up into a senseless lather I'd suggest you refrain from spending much time there. Just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it. On this list I respond to positions posted on this list rather than opinions posted originally on Kos or Huffington or elsewhere. Again, if the discourse on Kos sucks why spend time there?

John Thornton