[lbo-talk] Palin's privacy versus her public stance

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 3 13:23:11 PDT 2008

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> [WS:] I would not hold my breath about the outcome of that investigation. As I said before, emotional identification trumps logical reasoning in a significant segment of the US electorate. Even if the reporters dig up some dirt, it will likely backfire and increase Palin's appeal for ceratin segments of US electorate.
>
> Palin is a formidable figure, because she is a quintessential "all-American girl" who "made it." She married her high school sweetheart who is a hard worker and a union member. She become popular and gaijned power despite her lowly background and relative lack of education (BA in journalism from the U of Idaho is her highest academic credential.) And she is also an "ass-kicker" and government basher - which no doubt will resonate with many middle class Americans.
>
> In a way, she is another Anna Nicole Smith, the quintessential trailer trash and gold digger who used her sex appeal to "make it" against all odds - an ideal with which countless middle and working class women (and men) can easily identify and which "liberal elites" scorned. Who cares about Palin's views on the environment or library books - she is an all-American woman with whom scores of lower middle class and working class women can identify and thus prefer her to a Harvard educated schmoozer who is also black (do not underestimate th epower of racism.)
>
> Anti-intellectualism and gutter populism are formidable forces in American politics, especially when combined with racism. Before Palin's selection for VP, I thought that Obama had a pretty good chance of winning in November. Now I am not so sure. I am afraid that Mccain may have a better chance. Any liberal attempt to poo-pooh Palin as either a lightweight provincial goose or x-tian fanatic will only backfire and increase her appeal to certain segments of "middle America." Those segments may not be a majority, but numerous enough to sway the balance in a few key states to McCain's favor, especially that the self-styled left will do everything it can to "deconstruct" Obama.

I read this completely differently. Palin is a nut who believes condom use is evil. The people who hold this view could all fit into one stadium.

She was also director of Ted Steven's 527 group. Look for something politically damaging to come from that.

People will care that she tried to ban library books, most people oppose the Govt. banning books.

People may love reading about Anna Nicole Smith but that doesn't mean they want her for VP.

I like to watch Nicole Kidman films but I'm not likely to vote for her for public office.

Palin doesn't "look like" executive material and that will ultimately hurt more than help when the cameras are running.

Her selection may also work to dampen criticism of Obama from non-rightwing critics.

In the end the ruling class will probably fear a nut-bag like Palin more than a centrist like Obama so look for media coverage to heavily favor Obama from this point forward. This has already been portrayed as a hasty, ill-advised choice by the NYT's and the WaPost. The rest of the media will follow their lead.

John Thornton