[lbo-talk] Palin's privacy versus her public stance

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 12:51:26 PDT 2008

--- On Wed, 9/3/08, John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> In the end the ruling class will probably fear a nut-bag
> like Palin more
> than a centrist like Obama so look for media coverage to
> heavily favor
> Obama from this point forward.
> This has already been portrayed as a hasty, ill-advised
> choice by the
> NYT's and the WaPost.
> The rest of the media will follow their lead.

[WS:] This is my hope too, but as they say in the old country hope is the mother of fools. NYT and WaPost are quintessential "liberal media" in the mind of the wingnuts and segments of "middle America" - so their denunciations will only reinforce Palin's image as an underdog, or rather underbitch :), under attack by "liberal elites."

Obviously, neither of us can predict what will happen between now and November. I hope Obama will manage to deflect this populist subterfuge, but then again, I had similar hopes 2004. I think the threat is more serious than your post suggest, because Palin's appeal is emotional and aimed at non-rational people. It is difficult to deflect such a challenge, especially by rational means.

Wojtek