[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 18:34:27 PDT 2008

1. If everyone else around you smells like salmon, WHO CARES if you do too? Could be a whole new theme in cabinet meetings though.

2. Y'all obviously don't spend enough time on the bus with people who have just come ashore and back to town from long stints as fish processors. If ALL they smell like is fish, that is the smell of hard, respectable manual labor, and it can be a cut or two about the other olfactory experiences typical bus seatmates might be exuding.

3. I think the label "white trash" is all mixed up in class issues, ambivalence about women who get their start as beauty queen and other culture points that are still seething in the country's consciousness.

4. Palin's husband is not white trash. He is Yupik Eskimo. Probably another culture category a lot of the chattering classes are still figuring out how to deal with.

5. How did this thread all start? Several people scratching our heads, but apparently not all about the same things. A fair bit of rhetorical posturing. Some sexist lingo here and there. Pretty much your average internet stew.

As for the decoder ring, what are you trying to decode.