[lbo-talk] Palin's privacy versus her public stance

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 4 06:28:04 PDT 2008

Eric wrote:

> >You don't think there's any relation here? That the reason that it's
> >so impossible to build a left in the U.S. has something to do with
> >how deeply right-wing so much of the American population is?
>
> I think it's because so much of the American population smells like
> fish. Salmon, yes, but catfish and stripped and sea bass even more
> so. Little bit of tuna, too.

Eric's explanation is better than the one proposed in the question, which is absurd. The "right" is no barrier at all to building a left, since it is not among rightists that left sympathies appear, and a left must be buil out of those who already are sympathetic to left goals. Either very few people on this list paid much attention to the lengthy debate between Miles and Julio on social change or most agree with Julio.

How does parading one's moral superiority to Palin on a left list (read only by leftists) aid building a left?

This thread merely parades the frustration of so many on this list that no one else has yet built a left that they can cheer from the sidelines.

Carrol