[lbo-talk] Palin's privacy versus her public stance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 4 06:40:45 PDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The "right" is no barrier at all to building a left,
> since it is not among rightists that left sympathies appear, and a
> left
> must be buil out of those who already are sympathetic to left goals.

Well no kidding. But this is not the most promising soil for such a movement. The common sense of much of the American population, at least the white Protestant portion, is deeply individualistic and hostile to collective action. You seem to be waiting for some deus ex machina to change that, but that's going to be a long wait.

> How does parading one's moral superiority to Palin on a left list
> (read
> only by leftists) aid building a left?

Not sure what your referring to here, but I'll admit that I found watching all those Republicans on the TV last night to be a disgusting experience. They're absolutely repellent people - jingoistic, bigoted, simple-minded shits. Maybe it doesn't help build a left to feel that, but so be it. Of course, since you don't watch TV, and have only heard snippets of presidential speech over the last 50 years, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

Doug