[lbo-talk] Palin's privacy versus her public stance

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 10:34:45 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Not sure what your referring to here, but I'll admit that I found
> watching all those Republicans on the TV last night to be a disgusting
> experience. They're absolutely repellent people - jingoistic, bigoted,
> simple-minded shits. Maybe it doesn't help build a left to feel that,
> but so be it. Of course, since you don't watch TV, and have only heard
> snippets of presidential speech over the last 50 years, you probably
> have no idea what I'm talking about.

I listened to this crap last night on the radio for some odd reason. It was a surreal experience. Both frightening and laughable at the same time. It was so childish and simple-minded. The bigotry, jingoism, xenophobic weirdness just seems otherworldly. It is so cartoonish it seems like it should be part of an awful film rather than something real. I haven't seen (or listened to) a convention since the 1980's and my memories of those are very imprecise. I didn't listen to the Dem convention so it may have been just as awful, I don't know. I have a hard time imagining it was as simple-minded and xenophobic as last night.

John Thornton