[lbo-talk] Palin's privacy versus her public stance

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Sep 4 10:14:16 PDT 2008

. Yeah, I know how awful they can be, I don't need any lectures on that. I'm just talking viscera.

Doug

^^^^ CB: On a related point , I just realized yesterday that the line of some of the left that "the Democratic Party is the place where social movements go to die" is completely wrong, completely contradicted by the facts.

Take the Civil Rights movement of the 1950's and 60's. It achieved the end of Jim Crow. It was the Democratic President Johnson and a Democratic Congress that passed all the anti-Jim Crow federal laws, and a Constitutional Amendment against poll taxes. In that period, dozens of new Black elected officials won, most often as Democrats.

In fact, the Democratic Party sacrificed itself to the Civil Rights Movement in that the Nixon/Reagan Southern Strategy ,which has been very successful ,used the DP's support of civil rights (and especially Black people's civil rights) to dominate the Presidency for decades.

Really, when you think about it _none_ of the so-called social movements have died in the DP. The labor movement to legalize unionization won the Wagner Act in FDR's Dem Administration. The Vietnam peace movement was not only successful ( i.e. didn't die), but took over the DP in 1972 with McGovern's candidacy. Of course, the DP sacrificed itself on that issue too, as Nixon beat McGovern in a landslide. But the peace movement didn't die in the DP , as the war ended in 1973 ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk