[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Sep 4 11:35:34 PDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:44:24PM -0700, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> John and Shag made good comments, but I'll just say that what I was
> specifically thinking of is that Palin says basically "This is what your
> daughters *should* do, but oh well, mine is different" ... Dukakis said
> "Even if it was my wife being raped and murdered, the death penalty is
> wrong" ...
>
> Sorry for being a little obtuse.

Not necessary, and yes John and Shag made good points. I guess what I [poorly] was trying to convey is: our political adversaries do not see the contradiction/hypocrisy/double-standard.

Deep down, they know ab-only is not effective. But it displays the appearance of prudish morality, and that is what matters. The truth of facts like pregnancy rates, and even personally experiencing unplanned pregnancies, does not distract from the "Truthiness" they know in their guts.

IOW, no "Aha!" moment for them, so it is politically pointless to point out.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

-Ferris Bueller