[lbo-talk] Elephant memory ...

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 14:12:24 PDT 2008

--- On Thu, 9/4/08, Thomas Seay <entheogens at yahoo.com> wrote:

> It would be good if you would explain why you think
> it's a good idea.
> I'm not just blowing off your idea, because maybe you
> know of some purpose it would serve other than those I
> mentioned.

[WS:] It is rather simple. Police is a governmetn agency and as such they should be held the the same standards as other governmetn agencies. And government is guarantor of democratic instituions and freedom as well as protectors from abuse by greedy unscrupulous individuals and groups - at least in principle.

If you write off a governemtn agency as incorrigible thugs instead of demanding that they behave with the standards that people (or at least progressives) expect of governmetn agencies, you basically set the expectation that they behave badly and that condones their bad behavior and play sinto th right wing notion of government as fundfamentally oppressive force.

In short demand accountablity from people in the position of authority instead throwing invectives at them. The latter looks childish and usually is a sign of powerlessness.

Wojtek