[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 15:46:19 PDT 2008

Shit, I have to reply to and correct my own post. I just received an email from a Yup'ik tribal member who says that his grandmothers bq is unknown but assumed to be 1/4. The Yup'ik don't keep bq registries but by tradition only 1/4 bq or more makes one eligible for tribal membership. I'm not sure how they know if they don't keep records but whoever said all tribal rules were consistent? Since his grandmother was a tribal member of the Curyung but membership was not extended to his mother it's safe to say his grandmother was no more than 1/4 or else his mother would have been granted tribal membership. This makes him 1/16 at best and not a tribal member.

My SO's great great grandmother was a full blood whose family gave her to some farmers along the Trail of Tears. This makes my SO also 1/16 and no one (least of all her) would ever claim she was NDN. If Palin's husband is an "eskimo" (yuck Dorene) then I'm really French!

John Thornton