[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 4 16:57:44 PDT 2008

Joseph Catron wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> I'm not disagreeing but isn't blood quantum a problematic way to make this argument?
>>

> No more so than the one-drop rule; both claim to determine culture
> according to biology. I'll note only that Todd Palin's mother, who the
> AP (http://dwb.adn.com/news/politics/story/8924080p-8824177c.html) has
> called "a quarter Yu'pik Eskimo," was Yu'pik enough for the Alaska
> Federation of Natives, which she served as secretary; he identifies
> himself with the culture; and that's good enough for me.

If his mother was 1/4 and the cut-off by Yup'ik tradition is 1/4 why was his grandmother an enrolled member but not his mother? The answer is that she isn't considered 1/4 by other Yup'ik regardless of what some reporter claims. Unless the Yup'ik who told me his mother was not enrolled was mistaken? Am I to assume you have seen the tribal rolls or you were told by other Yup'ik that his mother is enrolled?

Again, if Todd was raised NDN (he wasn't) and was a tribal member (he isn't) then he would be an NDN regardless of his bq. He can claim anything he wants but unless a tribe agrees with him he's just someone with NDN ancestry like millions of other American's my SO included. It isn't how he identifies himself that matters but how the tribe identifies him. If the Yup'ik change their mind and enroll him in the tribe then I'll honor their wishes and consider him NDN. Unless he is enrolled and I was misinformed by another Yup'ik. Seems to me if he was enrolled this question would never have surfaced.

John Thornton