[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 5 10:31:53 PDT 2008

At 12:50 PM 9/5/2008, Eric wrote:
>>On Sep 5, 2008, at 11:45 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:
>>
>>>is there any reactionary
>>>instinct on the left Palin's nomination has not dredged up?
>>
>>Huh? She's a right-wing twit whose purpose is to energize some of the
>>most primitive elements in American society. Is it "reactionary" to point
>>that out?
>
>Of course not, but it's possible to point that out using and duplicating
>some of her same reactionary bullshit. And people are doing that, which is
>what Joseph is objecting to, rightly, if you ask me. People's cackling
>about her being a PTA mom, being inexperienced, and going back to work a
>few days after giving birth to a Down syndrome baby is sexism. People
>pointing out that she's a hick from some backwater, that she likes guns,
>and that she smells like fish are engaging in anti-rural parochialism
>(which makes a nice counterpart to Palin's and Giuliani's
>anti-cosmopolitan parochialism). People who think she's hypocritical for
>having a teenage daughter who is pregnant and who intimate that she's
>white trash are disparaging her because of her "class." These are the
>dominant criticisms of Palin, and they are happening on this list, though
>in a more coded form than elsewhere.

yeahbutt... catron is acting shocked that this happens, and that it's happening in the mainstream media and at demunder/kos. that's what i don't quite get. it's like being shocked that the democrats are tools, blah blah, or that obama is swinging rightward. yeah, so? how about them mets?

aside from doug's comments about salmon... who else was sexist, etc. or should i say something like masculinist blah blah bodies and affect? *snort*