[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Sep 6 08:12:14 PDT 2008

At 01:29 AM 9/6/2008, Joseph Catron wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM, shag <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
>
>every single day, people on this list engage in elitism. all of a sudden,
> > you're in a huff over it? spare me. it's like catron in a huff over sexism.
> > like he ever cared until recently, when it was a convenient subterfuge for
> > having a huff over elitism.
>

>As is your SOP, shag, you're inventing imaginary positions, which you hope
>I'll hold whileyou to argue against them. I'm hardly in a huff over any sort
>of offensive language, <...>

Oh. The word you used to describe your attitude was "disgusted" and it was an attitude that was enough to -- lo! -- make you consider voting for McCain/Palin (did anyone else see it as McCain/Pain on the placards at the RNC?).

<quote> At 10:25 AM 9/2/2008, Joseph Catron wrote: "Is anyone else as thoroughly disgusted as I am by the media feeding frenzy, apparently fueled by idiotic blogs I studiously avoid, over Sarah Palin's teenage daughter's sexual life, her "responsibility" in mixing motherhood and a career (like it's anyone else's fucking business), etc.?

I find myself tempted to vote for her ticket out of spite. And that isn't a good sign for Obama." </quote>

I suspect there's a reason why you rarely, if ever, registered disgust over some of the more "idiotic blogs" you "studiously avoid" when it came to Clinton. Namely, you just didn't care -- *and* you supported Obama. But more importantly, there was no reason for you to sympathize at all when it came to Clinton. She's a member of the professional-managerial elite, so why care?

With Palin, though, the real issue is the elitism you perceive in the commentary coming from the professional-managerial elite of dem/pwog persuasions. And you are not wrong about that. But, please, it isn't your sympathy to women's liberation that would motivate you to claim you might vote for the McCain/Pain ticket. I'da thunk that such principles would have motivated you to cry out in disgust and support Clinton or at least register how much you'd like to, just out of sympathy for her treatment at the hands of the msm and blogosophere.

So, I conclude that this all boils down to what it usually is: your disgust for the libera/dem/pwog professional-managerial elite. Which is fine as it goes. Play your strengths, dewd, play your strengths.

And I'll repeat what I said earlier: Read Matt Wray, especially where he wrestles with the things you so often seem to. BTDTGTTS myself.