[lbo-talk] Speaking of female candidates...

Bill Quimby wquimby at ecr.net
Sat Sep 6 16:04:16 PDT 2008

This about the NHL from

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/bhmhockey1.html

"Willie O'Ree became hockey's version of Jackie Robinson on Jan. 18, 1958, when he made his NHL debut with the Boston Bruins. Despite being legally blind in his right eye (due to an errant puck that felled him two years earlier - a trait he kept secret), O'Ree rocketed through juniors and the minors, and reached the pinnacle of the hockey world."

"According to league reports, only 18 black players reached the NHL between 1958 and 1991. While racism certainly played some role in keeping the figure to a minimum, it may have been more a function of the demographic makeup of Canada. In 1971, Canadians made up over 95% of the NHL, and only .02% of all Canadians were black. Today, the black population in Canada has increased to 2%. In addition, the United States, with a much higher black population than Canada, now contributes approximately 15% of all NHL players while Canada produces just over 60%".

"Hockey is an expensive sport to play, with full equipment packages costing hundreds of dollars. In 1997, the NHL and USA Hockey developed the Used Equipment Bank, designed to encourage people to donate their used equipment to economically disadvantaged youths."

I do not think that the percentage of black players has increased in the last two decades.

I do know that racism was prevalent in pro hockey (and pro basketball) through the 50's and 60's. The third tier in Boston Garden was known as "n-word heaven."

-Bill