[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexiism

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sun Sep 7 17:06:33 PDT 2008

*sob* we are so oppressed by that stereotype. my god. when will it ever end. let our people go! the abuse. the exploitation. the horror.

I'll never be called a chardonnay swilling cheese eating surrender monkey again... shag

---------

Yes, it sounds funny. But...

Well, after thirty years of name calling, and thirty years of domestic policies that have destroyed most of the social institutions and about all the places I ever worked or wanted to work, and made sure my wages were always low to boot, yes, I have begun to take attacks from the rightwing personally.

``oh please. did you even read what she wrote? [Jessica]..''

No. I was too plastered at that point to finish the long winded prom queen bit. This morning I read more of Jessica's rant. It was.... So, you are absolutely right.

Speaking of which, the Wendy Brown quote was pretty interesting, but I didn't quite understand the relevance to either Feminist movements or Sarah Palin, or Jessica X for that matter. Why not develop that a little more, if you want...

``This is the kind of lifestyle-psuedo-politics I don't get, or want to get, from the right or the left...'' Joseph Catron

Chris's answer was pretty good, but there is more.

Mooseburger eating, wolf shooting Palin is rightwing code for fuck the environment, we're drilling oil, mining off mountain tops, dumping the waste in what's left of wild rivers and habitats, and we are going after you environmental groups with a vengence. There are a lot ways to directly threaten and target some of these groups. Federal auditing and tax code investigations for example. Palin emphasis on her own anti-corruption campaigns were a not so subtle hint in that direction. I seriously doubt she would head up an investigation of excessive oil company profits.

My personal connection with what's left of California wild areas runs pretty deep. Long ago, I was once part of a group trying to save the Stanilaus river and stop the plan and construction of the New Melones dam. Like most good battles, that one lost. I've spent fifty years hiking first then climbing later in the Sierra and learned all sorts of small ways to keep from leaving an impact at climbs, trails, and campsites, etc. The Sierras were home to a lot more mining than just gold. And, there were younger years body surfing and later years fishing salmon in the Pacific... And the crazy irony here is that I got started going to the wilderness by a inner-city YMCA group who had the great idea of taking city kids outdoors, so they could see something better to life. Just the kind of program that Sarah Palin would kill with a line item veto in a heartbeat.

And Chris was right again on the Buffalo bit. I've forgotten a lot now.

``I probably would've assumed that Jessica was thinking and talking about the same stuff I was, just in a different way. But no, she wasn't...'' .d.

Dwayne's right too. Also, now obvious to me, I've got to stop venting against the Right. It fucks up my head and a few martinis don't help either.

CG