[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexiism

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Sep 13 09:58:25 PDT 2008

At 08:06 PM 9/7/2008, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>*sob* we are so oppressed by that stereotype. my god. when will it ever
>end. let our people go! the abuse. the exploitation. the horror.
>
>I'll never be called a chardonnay swilling cheese eating
>surrender monkey again... shag
>
>---------
>
>Yes, it sounds funny. But...
>
>Well, after thirty years of name calling, and thirty years of domestic
>policies that have destroyed most of the social institutions and about
>all the places I ever worked or wanted to work, and made sure my wages
>were always low to boot, yes, I have begun to take attacks from the
>rightwing personally.

i responded earlier but managed to forgot to send this.

i wasn't talking about you, but Jessica. All she can see is her lifestyle under attack (ambitious nerd) but couldn't fathom that she's firing right back. That bit I wrote was a riff on scarlett o'hara's speech in gone with the wind. jessica = scarlett o'hara feminism. (it's a joke among some feminist bloggers. also known as sofia coppola feminism >

http://the-silence-of-our-friends.blogspot.com/2007/04/more-sofia-coppola-feminism.html

http://guyaneseterror.blogspot.com/2006/10/to-veronique-whom-i-owe-explanation.html

>``oh please. did you even read what she wrote? [Jessica]..''
>
>No. I was too plastered at that point to finish the long winded prom
>queen bit. This morning I read more of Jessica's rant. It was.... So,
>you are absolutely right.
>
>Speaking of which, the Wendy Brown quote was pretty interesting, but I
>didn't quite understand the relevance to either Feminist movements or
>Sarah Palin, or Jessica X for that matter. Why not develop that a
>little more, if you want...

oh. i have already.

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2007/2007-June/011814.html

the argument is that feminists, identity political groups in general, have a wounded attachment to their identity as powerless. they build on a conception of power in which they can only ever recognize power as two dimensional. some other group has power, while the identity political group has none. white feminists get to run around and pretend that, if they reproduce racism or heterosexism or whatever within feminism, then it isn't as important because they have no power. they use this to try and shut down discussion of internalized racism, heterosexism, etc within feminism maintaining that the ones who really have power are the republicans, etc.

there's more in the archives. i just have a bunch of stuff i need to do besides type.

>Dwayne's right too. Also, now obvious to me, I've got to stop venting
>against the Right. It fucks up my head and a few martinis don't help
>either.
>
>CG

naw. it's just that jessica doesn't really appear to be on your side. i don't think.

as for the stuff about environment... sure. but i still don't get why it's wrong to hunt moose but ok to go salmon fishing. or even why the venom is so strong for something like aeriel wolf hunting.

every time i hear about this issue, i keep thinking about guiliani's policies intended to keep times square safe for disney. his was just a really vicious version of what politicians on both sides do to their cities to keep them clean and pretty for those with disposable incomes to enjoy.