[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexism

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 11:31:29 PDT 2008

To chime in, when I lived in Texas I knew several people who got a substantial percent of their protein from hunting - including one for whom it made a serious difference. Here in Olympia, Washington it is more friends of friends than friends, but still several people I'm aware of.

But that really has nothing to do with hunting wolves from helicopters. In terms of the "controversy" as Shag put, it is a ginned up controversy like denialism of the human contribution to global warming. All the mainstream scientists and biologists are against it. Here is the trick supporters use. The formula for when wolves can be shot is based on the Moose and Elk population dropping below a certain number. That numbers is set higher that it is likely to ever go , because most of the drop is based on human not wolf hunting. And that number is much higher than needed to maintain a stable Moose and Elk population. So a formula was chosen that has nothing to do with biological reality but which will always allow hunting from helicopters. Which has everything to do with the "fun" of torturing wolves to death, chasing them to exhaustion and then killing them. To me this is really repulsive in a way that a skilled hunter making a quick kill of an animal he or she intends to eat is not. And yeah it is a personal and subjective judgment, not an advanced political analysis. Although I disagree with Chris on many things, like him I reserve to right to make personal judgments, not only political ones.