[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexism

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 8 09:19:10 PDT 2008

Jordan Hayes wrote:
>> Are there so many USers who "secure their proteins" with hunting ?
>
> I doubt there's many who use hunting as subsistence (Ted Nugent to the
> contrary), but there are a not-insignificant number who do essentially
> count on supplementing their table with their take from hunting
> season. The last number I saw was that there are between 15-20M
> "active hunters" in the US, which is, as you could imagine, hotly
> contested by both sides of the hunting-advocacy issue.
>
> /jordan

The numbers of people where I live who supplement their proteins by hunting is large. Were they not allowed to hunt their food costs would rise considerably. Certainly most hunters are just doing it for the fun of killing something and spend much more on hunting accoutrements than they save on food but significant numbers of people rely on hunted food to supplement their caloric intake a noticeable amount.

John Thornton