[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 10 14:13:59 PDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 4:58 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> I would be a fool if I had no sympathy for the problems they face.
>
> 'Fuck 'em'? No, that's not how I feel.

You really should spend some time here to get a full taste of it.

Yeah, I have some sympathy for the problems "they" face. If we're referring to the 40 million or so conservative evangelicals in the U.S., then their response to those problems is, how to put it?, singularly unhelpful. Embracing McCain-Palin will do zilch for them at best. The appeal is racial, nationalistic, and religious. And "fuck 'em" is just how I feel.

Doug