[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Sep 10 20:25:56 PDT 2008

James Heartfield wrote:
> Miles sums up the problem of the liberal reaction to Sarah Palin succinctly
>
> "Actually, it makes perfect sense to me that they're so concerned about
> morals and values. They see lots of unmarried pregnancies, drug abuse,
> and divorce in their own subculture, and they think things are bad all
> around."
>
> Just who is the 'they' here? Who is it that sees a lot of unmarried
> pregnancies, drug abuse and divorce in their own sub-culture? Well, of
> course, it is not a sub-culture at all: many children are born out of
> wedlock, divorce is extensive, and drug use is still a minority
> activity, but it is a pretty hefty minority (include alcohol abuse and
> it would be the majority).

You're not quite getting my subtext here. In fact, all the outcomes that fundies consider a problem--drug use, divorce, unmarried preg--are more common in conservative, "religious" regions of the U. S. than they are in "liberal" regions. (For instance, compare divorce rates and unmarried pregnancy rates in Massachusetts and Alabama.) As I said, of course they're concerned about morals and values--the behavior they see in themselves and their neighbors is (according to their own standards) completely fucked up.

Miles