[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexism

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:17:38 PDT 2008

Blessing and a curse to be so much in and out of email just now. particularly when everyone is swimming in a stew of sexism, racism, rampaging religion, classism, and other assorted 'isms.

Various quips: --One thing to note Palin's husband's blue-collar appearances. Another thing altogether to wade into the stormy areas of fisheries management, overfishing, potential ecological collapse....

--Palin's record on sex ed is pretty clear. That record does not even reflect the views of many mainstream religious communities in the US. Palin probably does not care a whit about what some random self-proclaimed leftists think of her views; she is A LOT more vulnerable if religious voices speak up and make clear that she does NOT speak even for all people of faith.

--The bus take on Palin's snide comments about "community organizers: "Jesus was a community organizer. Pontius Pilate was an executive." See above comments about Palin not speaking for everyone of any connection to religion.

--I am allergic to anything that smacks of pep rally and that is the overwhelming impression I am getting of Palin's speeches. But it's not just the endless yammering cheerleading, it's the nauseating feeling of a schoolyard where some offensive kid's mother turned out to be even more insufferable than her offspring.

--I was still stuck back on how come Sarah Palin gets to proudly proclaim herself a pit bull with lipstick while Hillary is endlessly pilloried as a horrid harridan and we won't even talk about "Sambo" and his "baby-mama." I dunno what Palin's family looks like besides the whiff of Yupik connection on her husband's side, but this babe is trying to run as some kind of Mom for the whole nation. Unfortunately if she seldom has ventured outside of ID or AK, she probaly has no concept of families who come in several hues within one family. So if I were the Dems, I would be trotting out LOTS of different families talking up Obama. McCain's grasp of diversity seems to extend to young, thin and blond which is not ANYWHERE near a majority. If the Dem's cannot present some kind of more welcoming image of diversity than the blond cheerleader twaddle the Repubs are propunding, they DESERVE to lose.

End of tirade. Enough trouble for one day.

DoreneC