[lbo-talk] Is This The Real "Surge"? And What Does It Mean That It's Working?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 19:55:22 PDT 2008

I just heard this guy for the first time today, and I'm fascinated by this because it has always seemed to me that the weapon the world should be using against warlordism and terrorism is money.

>From Harper's

http://harpers.org/archive/2007/11/hbc-90001783

"Six Questions for Douglas Macgregor on Iraq and the "Surge"

By Ken Silverstein

Douglas Macgregor is a retired Army colonel and a decorated Persian Gulf War combat veteran who was an active duty officer (and Pentagon advisor) until 2004. He has authored three books on modern warfare and military reform. His latest is Transformation under Fire: Revolutionizing the Way America Fights. Macgregor writes for the Straus Military Reform Project at the Center for Defense Information in Washington, D.C. He recently replied by email to a series of questions about the current situation, and future prospects, in Iraq.

1. How big of a change has there been in recent months in the military situation in Iraq? The situation on the ground has definitely changed, but not for the reasons the Bush Administration and its generals claim. The main reasons include cash-based deals with Sunni leaders..."