[lbo-talk] Is This The Real "Surge"? And What Does It Mean That It's Working?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 10 20:22:23 PDT 2008

On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:55 PM, boddi satva wrote:

> I just heard this guy for the first time today, and I'm fascinated by
> this because it has always seemed to me that the weapon the world
> should be using against warlordism and terrorism is money.

But that's an evil, evil, thought. It leads to perverted ideas like buying the Afghan opium crop to convert into morphine to relieve pain and thus winning the peasantry to eliminate the terrorism and warlordism that flourish only because the peasants know themselves to be the targets of a "War" on drugs that kills some of them in order to starve the rest.

Of course, buying part of the opposition to fight the other part has been standard imperial procedure for the last four millenia or so....
> 1. How big of a change has there been in recent months in the military
> situation in Iraq?
> The situation on the ground has definitely changed, but not for the
> reasons the Bush Administration and its generals claim. The main
> reasons include cash-based deals with Sunni leaders..."

Shane Mage

"This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 30