[lbo-talk] authentically working class

rayrena rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Sep 11 12:04:05 PDT 2008

> Heartfield says the Palin family's problems are ordinary.
> I'd say they're indicative of the extraordinary
> dysfunction of small town America. To cite just one
> example, meth use is a huge problem among kids in the
> sticks mostly because there's not a fucking thing for
> them to do. Talk about no future. Visit an all-night
> Wal-Mart in small town America at 2 a.m. It's like a
> zombie movie in there.

Dennis, I don't disagree with you that stA is fucked up, though probably not in a worse way than urban America, just a different way. But this image of a zombified methland is kind of silly, drastic, and stereotypical. No, I don't doubt that you visited a Wal-Mart once or twice and saw some zombies, but so what? As a rejoinder to your portrait, one might say that big towns are just oversized crack dens, and some stAers do say this. That doesn't make it true. It just reveals their prejudice.