[lbo-talk] authentically working class

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Sep 11 12:42:11 PDT 2008

At 03:13 PM 9/11/2008, Miles Jackson wrote:

>Sure, but I don't think it's a coincidence that fundamentalism and income
>are correlated (the opiate of the masses and all that).

this isn't so any longer. yoshie and i both posted a lot about this over the past 8 years. when i went back to limpdick after 18 months away, there were two more praise-a-plexes, and a third that was already huge having added on. it was incredible. these are not located in poor areas of the county.

here's one link from the archives:

While on average older Evangelicals tend to lag slightly behind the average U.S. resident in education and income, there is a "continuing trend toward the GOP, as younger, better-educated, and wealthier Evangelicals replace an older, less upscale Democratic political generation."[10] Evangelicals who are politically or socially active, especially conservatives, seem to be increasingly upwardly mobile, suburban, highly-educated, and with above-average incomes, contrary to many popular stereotypes.[11] One group of scholars found that between 1978 and 1988, "Christian Right activism occurred predominantly in rapidly growing-and relatively prosperous-suburban areas of the South, Southwest, and Midwest."[12] Conservative Evangelicals also do a better job at rallying their own forces to vote. In 2000, 79 percent of Evangelicals who voted for Bush had been contacted at least once by a politicized religious group or individual, as compared to 36 percent of Gore voters.[13] http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2004/2004-December/028766.html