[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexism

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Sep 11 12:55:21 PDT 2008

>>> Dennis Claxton <

>CB: I don't really consider much of that _news_, Sounds like a bunch
of
>Peeping Toms.

The question was whether the Enquirer does reporting based on sources. It does.

^^^ CB: I recall one question in the exchange between us (below) as being whether the Enquirer does _news_.

By newsworthy, I mean impacting the interests of the general public. These sex lives or the family tragedy of the Simpsons are of private , not public, interest and import, and it is an abuse of the press function to waste so much ink on them.

And the people reading this stuff are acting like busy bodies and peeping toms.

No way you can move _The Enquirer_ out of the "sensation rag" category.

>> Dennis Claxton

The Enquirer gets good information. The Edwards story was both gossip and news.

^^^^ CB: Isn't this an over-generalization from just one story ? Give me another Enquirer story that was news.

Even the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal can't lie most of the time.