[lbo-talk] Bernard-Henri Levy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 11 13:17:46 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Lenin's Tomb wrote:

> I have loads of material about BHL in my upcoming book, *The Liberal
> Defense
> of Murder*. He's authentic ruling class, loaded to the hilt, has
> several
> mansions, and is deeply imbricated with the PS-wing of the French
> political
> class.

He's a ludicrous character. I interviewed him a few years ago about his search for Danny Pearl, mainly for the kick of interviewing him. He was supposed to come to my office to record, but then decided it was too great a security risk, so I had to call him using the fake name he registered under. He was hilariously pompous. I saw another ludicrous pompoid, Felix Rohatyn, fawningly interview him at the Council on Foreign Relations a year or two ago. It was a laff riot.

He does have an extremely beautiful daughter. We went to the launch party for her novel a couple of years ago, which was held at Diane von Furstenberg's "atelier." She was extremely modest, and gave the shortest book speech I ever heard. It was basically, "Merci, thank you, drink." I loved her for it.

Doug