[lbo-talk] Michael Hardt, superstar

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Thu Sep 11 14:24:29 PDT 2008

>From what I have heard from folks, Hardt refuses to get into strong
polemical debate. I think it comes from Deleuze's comments in dialogues, but it really comes off as a bit dodgy in debate format (and although it would take a bit too long for the format, I also think he is misreading Deleuze). I think this quality of avoidance tends to annoy Marxists. I discussed this with Tariq Ali once, and Ali clearly thought that Hardt was a bit of an imbecile. (I don't regularly chat with Ali, but I drove him around for a U of M event several years back... we didn't keep up.) I also think that it indicates that he hasn't had much meaningful engagement in activism, although I might be wrong about that. My suspicion is that Hardt's best quality is as a popularizer. It isn't a terribly appreciated quality, but he certainly transformed Negri's gnarled text into something a much larger audience could get it head around. robert wood