[lbo-talk] authentically working class

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Thu Sep 11 18:01:57 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Then they yelp their idiot self-reliant individualistic nonsense.

I had a garden this year, for the first time in a long time. One friend - diabetic, with circulatory problems and severely overweight, and another who is in retirement from production asphalt shingle mgfr and maintenance labor - had the necessary requirements to form an alliance. The diabetic had the land, on about 3 acres in the county. The other had become a 'master gardener' through a county program. I had two old pickups that we used to ferry horseshit from up the road. It's a pretty nice garden.

I was out there the other day with Herman - the gardener - who encourages me to take more of the produce home. He laughed when I told him that I did the garden to find out if we could still do it, not to make it my primary food source.

xx, martin