[lbo-talk] Woman Auctions Off Her Virginity

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Fri Sep 12 13:11:47 PDT 2008

>I usually associate Houston with one of the inner circles of Hell, but
>that might have more to do with the culture and politics than the
>weather.

Hey, that's not fair. Houston's a pretty weird, complex place. Mostly pretty horrible politically, I'll agree -- though not uniformly -- but culturally it's pretty excellent. If Austin excels at low art (rock and roll, film), Houston excels at high art, a lot of it spinning off the excellent Menil fine arts collection. Houston has a thriving contemporary (experimental) classical music scence, probably the best outside of NYC in the U.S. (Pauline Oliveras and others live there). Plus a vibrant theater scene. And it's a great town for all things gay.

I like Houston, which I think makes me evil in most Austinites' eyes. Dallas, on the other hand, is a complete and utter irredeemable shithole.

> But, yeah, it's generally worse than Austin weather wise as well.

Yeah, but not by much. 97 degrees today? Yuk. Apparently, though, a cold front comes through after the storm and it will only be in the high 80s. Yahoo! It's fall!