[lbo-talk] Lefty Elitism and Its Enemies: A Recursive Comedy With Infinite Acts

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Sep 13 21:42:31 PDT 2008

At 12:26 AM 9/14/2008, Joseph Catron wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 6:39 PM, shag <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:
>
>So, for the sake of clarity, could you, pretty please pretty please, tell us
> > what you actually think about this issue?
>

>You want my final word on whether a major metropolis is more interesting
>that a small town?
>
>While I'm at it, should I say once and for all whether I prefer the Clash or
>the Ramones? Beethoven or Mozart?
>
>Sorry, no can do. It all depends on any number of subjective factors, both
>external and internal, at any given time.
>
>But it becomes silly when someone stakes out a claim that one is objectively
>better than the other, then defends it as if there were anything objective
>about the question to begin with.

what dwayne wrote: "> NYC to be a more interesting place than Topeka and Joe Catron will

> continue to think this opinion evidence of an 'out-of-touch' left"

Do you think that Doug's opinion on this and the broader topic which is something like "fuck rural small town America, they have crappy politics" is evidence of an "out-of-touch" left.

The way Dwayne framed it was *not* that you necessarily disagreed with Doug about the interestingness of Manhattan. It seems to me that Dwayne was getting at your tendency to chide Doug and others for, hmmm, being insensitive to folks like those in the "real Virginia", etc.

So? What is your opinion on this issue? You often talk about the left being out of touch with, hmmm, 'ordinary' Americans. No? what *is* your beef with Doug's views?